MOSS 2007 Feb CU 2011 Installation issues

by dipbiswas 23. March 2011 05:13

MOSS 2007 Feb CU 2011 has a lot of fixes which pursued us to get it in our SharePoint farm but eventually it led into a nightmare when the configuration wizard started failing on the web servers. Here is what happened.

We installed Feb CU 2011 in our SharePoint farm. The binaries installed successfully. The configuration wizard ran successfully on the index and query server but failed on the web servers. On the web servers, the configuration wizard failed at step 8. Even after trying with the GUI and command prompt, it kept failing with the below mentioned errors.

Error upgrade log:

[SPManager] [DEBUG] [3/23/2011 5:00:30 AM]: SyncUpgradeTimerJob: sleeping for 10 seconds

[SPManager] [ERROR] [3/23/2011 5:00:31 AM]: Upgrade [SPSearchDatabase Name=WSS_Search_Server1 Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=PortalFarm] failed.

[SPManager] [ERROR] [3/23/2011 5:00:31 AM]: Cannot drop the procedure 'dbo.proc_MSS_BackupProperty', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

[SPManager] [ERROR] [3/23/2011 5:00:31 AM]:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)

   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)

   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()

   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteScript(TextReader textReader, Int32 commandTimeout)

   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteScript(String path, Int32 commandTimeout)

   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPSearchDatabaseSequence.PostUpgrade()

   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.Upgrade(Object o, Boolean bRecurse)

 

Error in Event Viewer:

Event Type:                     Error

Event Source:                Windows SharePoint Services 3

Event Category:            Database

Event ID:   5586

Date:                                    3/23/2011

Time:                                   8:16:53 AM

User:                                    N/A

Computer:                       Server 1

Description:

Unknown SQL Exception 3701 occured. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

 

Cannot drop the procedure 'dbo.proc_MSS_BackupProperty', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

 

This error came up immediately after the following entry in the event viewer:

Event Type:                     Information

Event Source:                Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search

Event Category:            Search service

Event ID:   1013

Date:                                    3/23/2011

Time:                                   7:39:25 AM

User:                                    N/A

Computer:                       SERVER1

Description:

The search service stopped normally.

 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

 

From the above information it was confirmed that this is something related to WSS Search Service (Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search). We had Windows SharePoint Services Help Search enabled on the web servers which is where the configuration wizard failed.

I did a lot of search in Google for the stored procedure proc_MSS_BackupProperty but did not find any information. In the end, decided to go in my own way.

If this post helped you, please visit the sponsors from SharePointAds.com to check the latest offerings  

Resolution steps:

Disable Windows SharePoint Services Help Search

When we checked the status of the services (from services.msc), we found that the status of the service was disabled. This is probably because when we ran the configuration wizard, it disabled the service as one of its steps while updating the configuration for the farm.

As a next step, we disabled the Windows SharePoint Services Help Search from these web servers (through the Central Admin à Operations à Services on server). Initially, it failed to stop the service because the service in services.msc was already disabled. We had to change the startup type of the service to Manual and start the service. After this, we were able to stop the service from Central Admin.

Run the configuration wizard

Once the service stopped, we ran the configuration wizard, through the command prompt.

psconfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait –force

This time the configuration completed successfully.

Enable Windows SharePoint Services Help Search

Deleted the WSS_Search database from SQL

Executed the following command to enable back the Windows Search

stsadm -o spsearch -action start -farmserviceaccount <Search Account> -farmservicepassword <Search account password>-farmcontentaccessaccount <Crawl Account> -farmcontentaccesspassword <Crawl Account Password>


Cheers! Farm is now updated with Feb CU 2011 (Version: 12.0.0.6554)

If this post helped you, please visit the sponsors from SharePointAds.com to check the latest offerings  

Tags: ,

Installs and patches

Comments

The opinions expressed herein are personal opinions and do not represent others' view in anyway. All posts are provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

You are visitor#